Q & A

Q & A

Course Registration

When registering, do students have to be affiliated with a particular graduate school or are there any other requirements? Also are there examinations, interviews or other selection procedures?
The course can be taken by any University of Tokyo graduate student. There are no particular requirements, and there are no examinations or interviews when registering.
I am interested in the STIG education program, but is it possible to take just certain courses?
Students are welcome to take individual courses, without planning to complete the program.
Please explain the registration procedure.
Just submit the STIG Registration Form to the STIG Education Program Office. You can pick up a copy of the registration application form at the office (S209, Faculty of Medicine Building No. 1, Hongo Campus) or download it from the STIG web site: (http://stig.pp.u-tokyo.ac.jp/pdf/FormSTIG_2019_e.pdf)
Do you recommend that international students register for the STIG education program?
We have 5 courses (a total of 14 credits) offered in English this year. We plan to offer more courses in English next year in order to encourage international students to be part of the STIG education program. The required joint seminar is not yet offered in English.
I will enter my second year of graduate school this April. If I register for the STIG education program from now, can the credits I earned during the previous year (my first year of graduate school) be used to satisfy the STIG completion requirements?
The STIG Education Program Operation Committee may recognize those credits for course completion after comparing whether the academic contents of the subjects in the previous and current years are the same. So please consult with the STIG education program office regarding the credits you want recognized from the previous year.
I am thinking about registering for the STIG education program from the second term (winter term). Can the credits I earned during the first term (summer term) be used to satisfy the STIG completion requirements?
It is preferable for students to register for the STIG education program from the first term. Regardless, when registering from the second term, the prior credits may be recognized as under the answer to the previous question, so inquire at the STIG education program office about the recognition of credits earned before registering.

Certificates of Completion

When are applications for certificates of completion submitted? I will be overseas when I complete the program. Can I apply for a completion certificate even if I am outside Japan?
The certificate of completion application procedures are made online using UT-mate at the beginning of the term when the student will complete the program or obtain credits and depart. UT-mate can also be used from overseas.


I will be overseas for one year from August, so I will not be able to take the required course (joint seminar) for the winter term. Will the same sort of required course be offered in the winter term next year?
We plan to offer the same required courses in the winter term every year.
The electives are divided into basic courses, applied courses, and field-specific research courses. How are these courses categorized?
In the electives students learn about (a) evidence-based policy making processes and institutions and (b) evidence-building techniques. The categories are set so that students acquire both, and not just evidence building or the policy-making process. The applied courses and the field-specific research courses are courses for the development and application of the basic courses. To gain higher level practical skills, we want students to select and pursue fields that draw their interest and in which they want to specialize.